Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Office

Today is my 75th post and today I reached 200 followers.  I am very excited about both. Thank you all for coming back day after day to see what I am up to.  I look forward to sharing more with you in the weeks, months and years ahead!

This is my home office.  This is where I work and where I often blog (when I'm not blogging on my laptop in the lobby of my kids activities).  I redid this office last year.
When we first moved into our home eleven years ago, we had a big empty house to furnish.  I worked from home and needed a functional home office.  We bought an O'Sullivan 'put together' desk and hutch for $600.  It took my sister-in-law and me almost three full days to put it together.
Little by little it began to fall apart.  Last year it was time to get rid of the put together furniture.  We gave the desk and hutch to my friend who was thrilled to take it.  As an attorney, I often work from home. I really needed a functional space where I could see clients.
The furniture we bought was from Thomasville.  We purchased it right around the time the economy got really bad.  Since nobody was spending money at that time and the store was a little desperate for customers, we were able to negotiate a really good deal on this furniture.
See those law books...they are from my husband's Grandmother's home.  Her husband, who passed away 50+ years ago, was interested in law.  When she passed away, we brought home the entire set from her house.  The books fit exactly on that shelf...obviously meant to be.
Here is the copyright date from inside one of the books.  Pretty cool, right?

Here are a couple of vignettes from the shelves.
I am also an avid tennis player...some of my awards are displayed here.

The window treatments were my creation.  The panels are from Pottery Barn, but the window shades I made.  I  liked the idea of not making the treatment too heavy looking but just framing the architecture of the window. 

The window treatment was simple to make and is completely no-sew.  I purchased fabric that was in the colors I wanted the room to be in (it's always easier to find a fabric and then match the paint rather than paint first and then try to find fabric).  I used a fusible shade kit and ironed the fabric on to the fusible webbing.  I then hot glued on the trim as shown.  The shade is stapled to the top of the moulding.  It's a non-functional shade, but that's okay.  It's only meant to dress this window.
The fabric from the window treatments established the color scheme for the entire room.  We painted the walls Amulet (AF-365) from the Benjamin Moore Affinity line and the ceiling was painted Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware.  Crown moulding was added as well.  I'm really into painting ceilings at the moment.  I think it adds a nice touch to this office.

In the bay of the window I needed additional seating.  I debated back and forth between adding two chairs with a table in between or a small sofa.  I ended up going with a small sofa because the only chairs that would achieve the look I was after were smaller and less comfortable than I wanted.  I found this petite sofa at La- Z Boy furniture.  The center pillow is from Pottery Barn and the little side table is from Home Goods.  It's the perfect fit.

I love this side table.  I think it adds that touch of the unexpected.

The rug is a Royal Palace from QVC.  I was flipping through the channels one night and came upon this rug.  It had all the colors I needed and coordinated well with the window treatment fabric.

 I needed two client chairs as well.  These chair are from Ikea.  They fit perfectly.

This is the view from the client's side of the desk.  I love this desk because it allows you to work from both sides.

My desk lamp I have had since we first moved in.  I got it at Bombay (another of my favorite stores now out of business).

The artwork is from Kirklands and again had all the right colors.  

I even tried to make my copier area look more elegant.  The lamp is from Pottery Barn and the garbage pail is from Home Goods.
Here is a closeup of the lamp.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of my home office.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'd love to hear what you think.

-Judy
Come check out this party:


36 comments:

ShabbyESP said...

Your office looks so nice!!! And very functional!

Enjoy!!
Suzann

Tru said...

Congratulations on getting 200 followers! WooHOO! I like your office and am jealous; mine is part of the dining room.

Becca Bertotti said...

This is beautiful !! Love the lawbooks ... and the zebra side table truly is an unexpected punch. I try to throw a little animal print in every room. :) Thanks for sharing this wonderful space!

Thoughts for the day said...

This is really beautiful. Makes me want to get to cleaning and redoing my own den room. It is good for awhile then the ironing board gets left up the ironing pile gets larger the cat drags out papers to pounce on and it is a mess again. MOTIVATION~is needed. wish me luck.

Arabella said...

Love your office...very envious! Just dropping by from All Things Inspired.

Hope you're having a lovely New Year.

Becky Jane said...

Very Impressive...redoing my office is on my do-do-list for this year!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh honey, how I wish I had an OFFICE. I have a very small, cramped comoputer table, that's it, and it is in a guest room and where I watch TV. MANY purpose room, huh??? LOL! Your office is beautiful, LOVE the furniture! XO, Pinky

Chris said...

What a great tour! I love so much about it. The window treatments; the side table--all of it. Thanks for showing it off!

Debbiedoos said...

I would love my own private home office. You did a great job on it, and it is so organized and beautifully decorated. Judy you asked me about the side bar, not sure what you mean. If you want to add your own pictures let's say of your home, kitchen, etc.....
GO to gadget, HTML, and you can add a link from let's say a kitchen post, and then add one picture of your kitchen, click on it, and then link to that direct post. Does that make sense? Go visit ANNE she is the queen of this stuff, and so very helpful..she will be happy you did.

Vanessa said...

Hi Judy! I love your office! It is refreshing to see something so warm and Traditional and it reminds me a lot of the direction I am trying to head in with our office. Thanks for sharing it!
Vanessa

Debbiedoos said...

Ok, first Judy I would luvvvv if you had your account set up that I could just email ya back...you have to go to your profile and change it.....
blogger has new templates, hit design and you will see all the new ones, you can even widen the inner portion so you can enlarge your pics....hope that helps, if you want your own just google blog templates and whole bunch of website come up....

Molly said...

Hey there! I found you through Debbiedoo and I wanted to share some blogging love with you. I got a "stylish blogger" award and I think you totally deserve one too! You have some great ideas and I'm a happy follower now! Please drop by my blog tomorrow and pick up your button!
toileinthefamily.blogspot.com

Julie said...

It all looks gorgeous, Judy! Congrats on reaching over 200 followers! I'd love it if you'd link up to my Paint Color Party going on now! I think people would love to see your office!

http://lessthanperfectlifeofbliss.blogspot.com/2011/01/paint-color-party-link-up-your.html

Denise said...

What a transformation! Do you think I could paint my ceiling even though my home office is VERY tiny? Will it make it look smaller?

magsmcc said...

This is fabulous- very Toad of Toad Hall- I think you should consider joining our little Wind in the Willows lark! Come see!

A Vintage Vine said...

Great color for the office and I like the idea of painting the ceiling...Thanks for sharing over a the paint party! Great blog!

Melissa Miller said...

WOWEE!!! You truly have the office of dreams. Gorgeous, furniture, colors and the light in the room is so incredible. Fabulous Pam! :)

Pamela said...

Your office looks great! I love the window treatments!

Judie said...

Um. Do you have a maid? I'm just wonderin' 'cause your house is SOOOOO CLEAN!!!

Unknown said...

those valances are (FINALLY) something I think I could "sew"!!!
xo
lynn

Vanessa said...

Hi Judy! Just comin back by to say thanks so much for linking up your gorgeous office to the party this week! :-)
Vanessa

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Your office is so pretty! Thanks for sharing the tips on the window shades. Love them.

Blondie's Journal said...

You did a fantastic job on your office, Judy! I love the shades you made and I think they look so perfect with the area rug and your painting. Love the colors. Very nicely done!

XO,
Jane

The Starr Family said...

Looks very functional, and certainly always a relief to finish a project. Love the ceiling color, Restoration Hardware has the most rich, authentic paint colors! Well done!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the whole makeover, Judy! It really suits for the purpose and function you need it to provide. Love your shades, too. I miss Bombay, too. My bedroom side tables are from Bombay, when they used to have their $49.00 table sale.

Pondside said...

Well done - it's a beautiful office.
I gave up my office when we moved to Pondside, but I still needed space to work at home. I don't see clients here, but still needed somewhere to be a bit organised. I've settled on a desk in the TV room. It sounds odd, but with just the two of us, it's more of a den or study with a tv than a family room sort of of room.
Sometimes I miss my office - like when I see one like yours!

......Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

You did it your way and it works!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Judy~ What a beautiful home office!! The makeover is gorgeous- and it looks like a place where everything is organized and easy for work to get done as well! Thanks so much for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Kelly said...

*Fabulous!*

I've been looking for a shade solution for my breakfast nook, and these look completely professional - but still easy! I love it!

Jenny said...

Judy! What a nifty office re-do. I adore that petite sofa in the bay window. I need to find something like that for the bay window in my own office.

Thanks for the wonderful, creative ideas. It's neat how the books worked out so perfectly for you.

Thank you for linking to Alphabe-Thursday!

Definitely a neat stop this week.

A+

Kathy said...

Terrific coordinating to go with the fabric - the room looks professional and inviting at the same time,
Kathy

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. Could you be any more talented? I don't think so. Where do you find a fusible shade? I've never even heard of one but I love the concept. Thank you so much for linking with air your laundry Friday again!

home office furniture said...

Before you go shopping for your office furnitures, take a good look of how much space you have for your home office to see how small or big desks and chair you will need.

arrielle_p said...

Great job making your home office room. Wish my work is home based so that I can make a room like that too. :)
philippine real estate

Shiene143 said...

Very organized office room. How I wish I can do that to my room because of busy work sometimes it get messy. Thanks for sharing it.

Ersonghoi cyanopel said...

The quality of your articles and contents is great

Gas Lift Bar Stools wholesale
Vintage Furniture wholesale
Decor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...