Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

I Spent the Weekend "Redecorating"

I spent the weekend "redecorating"...not redecorating my home...but redecorating my blog.  For weeks now I have wanted to change the background on my blog.  You would think that would be a simple task, right?  Well, not so simple.  I have been researching on the internet ways to change my background.  I went to the Background Fairy to try to change my background.  For some reason, I couldn't get any of her backgrounds to work (I think it's because the backgrounds she has are for a Minima template...that's not what mine is called).  I knew there had to be a way.  Finally, after reading tons of tutorials and becoming a mini-expert on HTML codes, I figured it out.

Let me show you what I did to change my background (honestly, I can't say for sure this will work for everyone, but it worked for me).  It did allow me to completely customize my background.
I went to my blogger account, then to the design tab, and then clicked on Edit HTML.  I scrolled down until I found this part of my screen.

<Variable name="body.background" description="Body Background" type="background"

       color="$(body.background.color)" default="$(color) none repeat scroll top left" value="#a6cfd4 url(https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgDQuLBUXjCO-JTizhmClH4PBxF0rIIkoPEvc4f0gIRyQ4mAQB2XpXMMiplp17aNIUk2Qj4nPGRDrM2RUs-9JSWr1L5p8CGOSFJXSP3X-4prlU65rFHAs5QGQ9z8HAzJzQM2uqLkXJxbAIO/s128/None.jpg) repeat scroll top center /* Credit: blue_baron (http://www.istockphoto.com/googleimages.php?id=8705544&platform=blogger) */"/>

   <Variable name="body.background.override" description="Body Background Override" type="string" default="" value=""/>


The part in blue is the new code I added (it had to be between the two ( ).  Where did I get that code?  Here's what I did.  
I found a picture on the internet that I liked.  For my new background, I used the photo of a fabric sample from Serena and Lily.  I copied the picture into my Picnik account (Picnik is a free photo editing software available on the internet).  From there I saved it into my Picaso Web Album.  Then I went and copied the code from Picaso and pasted it as you see above in blue.  I tried tons of different patterns before I settled on the one you see. 
Image from Serena and Lily - the winner

I tried this...looked way too busy
This was a close second...just a little too old fashioned looking

I liked this one too, but because it basically repeats the pattern, I could see the lines between each of the repeats.  It didn't look fluid.
A little too busy...this was my third choice

Some were too busy, some didn't line up right.  Let me know what you think of the new look.
I also changed out my header.  I have gotten many compliments on my photo of my kitchen, so I left that photo in.  I wanted to have a few pictures.  I again went to Picnik but this time made a collage of photos and was able to edit and add text on top of the collage.  This time I saved the picture to my computer.  I went into my blogger account, clicked on Design and then clicked on Edit on the header picture.  I had to click remove to get rid of the old picture and then uploaded the new image.  I had to change the width of the collage and re-save it a few times before I got it to fit correctly.  I also adjusted the width of my blog...making the width wider and the side bars a bit narrower (I did that in Template Designer (Advanced).

Another change I made to my blog is I added links on my sidebar to my most popular posts.  It was a new feature on Blogger.  

So, let me know what you think of the new look of my blog. I'm liking it so much more.  It's more of a reflection of my style...as it should be.

Also, I've been nominated over at Lamb Around for best in show for my daughter's room makeover.  I'd love if you would stop by there and vote for me.  Thanks.
My daughter's Room

-Judy

13 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I love it. Now the background fairy does have the new blogger. What you need to do is first change your template to watermark, and then incorporate her template, after your copy and paste. It was pretty easy, I did it for another blogger. I want to change mine too when I have the time. It is busy, but I love the colors. Have a great day.

Vanessa said...

I love the new look Judy! I think it fits your style just perfectly and the new header is great! Good job!
Vanessa

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Looks great! Isn't it fun to give your blog a little makeover? I had the same one forever, and then when I changed my background, it got me inspired again! Funny how such little things make such a difference in how we feel about things! :)

Chrissy said...

I love your new background. I did the same thing last week and finally figured out how to get a minima template with the new ones. Finally, I did it and was able to figure out how to change mine, but now I have to decide if I like it. This is like decorating your house :) so many choices.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Love your new background! Bold but soft. I gave up and just had Penny Lane Designs make mine. It didn't cost much and was so worth it to me. But of course, you're a step ahead if you can figure it out yourself. Now you'll be able to change it up when you want. Have a happy week!

Chrissy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I agree about the scrolling on the sides covering the words. I am going to see if I can delete that? Also, thanks for being a follower and I am following you back :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Judy, the new background and header look great! Now that you've figured it out you're going to be addicted!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Love your new background and header...beautiful!
The color is wonderful!

Chris said...

I can't believe you did this on your own! I am so technically challenged, it would NEVER end up looking like this. SO impressed. :) It looks beautiful!

Jennie said...

You're my hero. Now I know what I will be doing late into the night tonight - redesigning my blog. Thank you for sharing this. And congratulations on your prize nominations. I'm proud of you!

Muhammad Azeem said...

great
http://karachiwebmaker.tk/

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing! It looks great. I'm going to give it a try. My blog needs something

Spoonvjms said...

I love your new background. I did the same thing last week and finally figured out how to get a minima template with the new ones. Finally, I did it and was able to figure out how to change mine, but now I have to decide if I like it. This is like decorating your house :) so many choices.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...