Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Memo Board Tutorial

My daughter needed a memo board for near her desk.  She loves the memo boards she sees in Pottery Barn Teen.  However, those memo boards are $79 plus shipping.
Image from Pottery Barn Teen

But I knew I could recreate that same look.  I started out with a painters canvas from Michaels.  I also bought a roll of cork.


As it turned out, the cork had an adhesive backing.  Otherwise my plan had been to use a spray adhesive.  This was even easier.

The canvas I chose was 18" x 24".  I didn't want something too big.  Just a nice spot for whatever she wants to pin up on the board.
I started by removing the backing and attaching the cork to the canvas.


Using my utility knife, I cut the edge of the cork to the exact size of the canvas.


I laid the canvas upside down on the wrong side of the fabric.

I cut the fabric leaving approximately 3-4" on all sides.
Using my staple gun, I stapled the fabric to the wood frame on the canvas.

I folded the edges like I would if I were wrapping a gift.

I did this on all four sides.  I stapled every 4-5".
It looked a little too plain so I went into my stash of ribbon and got a roll of pink grosgrain ribbon and stapled it to the top back corner.
I wrapped it around the front and stapled to the back of the other side.  I did this on all four sides.

Here is the finished product.
Here it is hanging in her room.  I hung it below the wall art I created.  You can check out how I did that here.  The flowers and the birds are vinyl decals I got at Home Goods.

It's the perfect spot for her to pin some of her favorite things.  Here's how the cost broke down:
1/2 yard fabric - $3 at JoAnn's
Canvas - $7 at Michaels
Cork - $8 (although I only used half - I should only be charged with $4 for this project:) )
Ribbon - I had that already
Total cost - Under $20.
Such an easy project.  Hope you try it.  Let me know what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

-Judy

Check out this party:


12 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Looks perfect for her room and so easy to do. Love the fabric and the pink trim. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

So pretty! Isn't it amazing what you can do with a little ingenuity?

Trisha B said...

What a great idea! It looks so cute up on the wall in the room! Thanks for following along at Follow Me Wednesday! I'm following you back!

Traci said...

You did good!! I'm learning so much in blog world. I didn't know you could buy a roll of cork!

Debbiedoos said...

That is really cute Judy!

Vanessa said...

Judy that is waaayyy cuter than the Pottery Barn one! I love it as part of that arrangement on the wall with the darling decals. Her room is looking so great and I can't wait to get the full tour!
Vanessa

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the fabric you chose for this, Judy! I can't believe PB wants $79.00! Almost as bad as what Ballard's wants for their cork boards. Where there's a will, there's a way though! Nicely done!

Arabella said...

New follower from All Things Heart & Home! What an awesome job on this project - great job & lovely blog. :O)

Marie
http://SallyLeeByTheSea.com

Susannah said...

Looks great! Good idea to use the canvas backing and fabric. I may make one for myself, but where would I put the vinyl? Haha. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Susannah
www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

Christina said...

This looks GREAT! I made a memo board for my mother in law using the same technique...now I want one for myself!! It looks beautiful :)

Thank you so much for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :) I really appreciate it!!

My Greenbrae Cottage said...

Hi Judy!
I just linked to this post on my blog!!
http://mygreenbraecottage.blogspot.com/2011/02/ribbon-and-more-memory-boards-linky.html

BrandiK said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I knew I could do this, and you actually used some of the ideas I had... you just put them all together. I love how you use the already prepared art canvas, but put cork board on top... I was just about to break the bank to buy these at PB Teen... but you convinced me I CAN DO IT!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...