Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fabric Covered Letters

I am taking a day off of Christmas posting to share with you a project I did for my daughter's room.  
A few weeks ago I shared with you the Pottery Barn Teen inspired style tile board 
I made for her room.
After I hung it up, it just didn't look complete.
It seemed a little high and to be just floating there.
Then I remembered that I had bought these letters from Target a few months back.  They were on clearance for only $1.48 each!  My daughter's name is Sydney, but Target only had a few letters left so I could only get a S, Y and a D.  That was okay because so many people call her Syd anyhow and she really likes that nickname.  I didn't know what I was going to do with these letters when I bought them, but when I saw how awkward the memo board looked all alone, I knew exactly what I would do with them.
At first I thought I would cover them with scrapbook paper.  But then I realized it would look so much cooler if I used fabric.  So, I started by using the left over fabric from the style tiles and ironing on fabric interfacing I have on hand that I use with my Silhouette machine.  I then laid the letter upside down on the backside of the fabric (the part with the interfacing on it).  
Then using an exacto knife on a cutting board, I carefully cut around the letters.  I didn't trace it first, I was just very careful not to move my letters until I was done cutting.  The interfacing keeps your cuts perfectly clean with no fraying of fabric.   
Then using Mod Podge, I adhered the cut fabric onto the front of the letters.  I only applied the Mod Podge to the back of the fabric (not the face of the fabric). 
Fits perfectly!
This project was done for a total of $4.50!!  Using leftover fabric and things I had in the house, I made very custom letters for her room.  She loves it.  It certainly adds to the tween vibe of her new room.
Plus it allowed me to lower the style tiles so that my daughter can reach them better (I covered the hole in the wall from where I originally hung the board with the letter Y-faster than patching the hole - Lol).  

So incredibly easy but with a really professional end result.  I want to make more of these!!

I hope you will let me know what you think of this project.

-Judy
Don't forget that there is still time to enter the Threaded Creations giveaway.  Click here to enter.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it - I made letters for H O M E but used scrapbook paper to cover the fronts - using fabric opens up even more options for beautiful designs. Thanks for sharing!

Mary

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great project, Judy! Even better that you were able to do it for less! I like that you were able to incorporate the fabrics in her room with the letters. It really ties everything in together.

Fowl Single File said...

What a refreshing post! I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all the Christmas stuff and it's nice to have a break. You did a great job on your daughter's room and the letters are a really nice touch!

Steph said...

What a wonderful tween room. And you are so smart, (frugal), and creative to see the possibilities in the letters. It looks great!

Allison Nicole said...

Love it!! I've always wanted to do something like this but I never seem to find the letters on sale!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Judy,

Terrific project! I love the look and how easy it was to do.

Dee

Layn @ reignalayn.blogspot.com said...

Love the entire room. The whole makeover is awesome. The letters are really nice. Gotta love sales :-)

Susan Anderson said...

So, so cute and clever. Your family is lucky to have you making such a beautiful living space for them!

=)

Lady In Read said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady In Read said...

came via Alphabe Thursday...
always feel I need to do these projects and buy the materials but never get around to them.. your post is re-inspiring me to actually get to it..love the colors..

anitamombanita said...

great finishing touch!

Gina said...

These are great! They are a nice compliment to the tile board.

Unknown said...

What a great primp :-) Such a lovely room.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy.
The letters look fantastic and were the perfect addition to the board. You gave me a great idea for some letters that spell out our family name but the finish was all wrong in our new house.
Thanks for the great post and idea!
Dawn

Unknown said...

Very very cute. I love the papers you chose.

21 Wits said...

So clever and charming it just makes me want to make one too!

storybeader said...

yes, I like it better too! And it's good to have the style tiles closer to her. Lucky Syd (that's my mom's name, short for Sydona!)
{:-Deb

Jenny said...

What a Fabulous idea!

The personalized touch makes it so much more Fun...

Fond wishes For a Fantastic 2012!

A+

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...