Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Copycat Challenge

Debbiedoo's is hosting a holiday copycat challenge today.  I have been wanting to participate in one of her copycat challenges for a while now, but was never able to pull things together quick enough.  
I was proactive this time. 
 I have had this project ready for a while and am so excited to share it with you today.

My inspiration photo came from the Grandinrod catalog that came in the mail a few weeks ago.  I just love these blocks and I knew I could recreate the look, and do it for much less. 
I started by going to Home Depot and bought a piece of MDF.  I knew the exact measurements of the blocks in the catalog and had the nice man at Home Depot cut my pieces to the exact size.
Here are the measurements if you want to make your own:
5 1/2" x 7" e (3)
5 1/2" x 11" L & V
7 1/2" x 8 1/2" i
11" x 7 1/2" B

I then painted the edges white.  I didn't need to paint anything else since I would be covering the fronts with Christmas scrapbook paper.  
I picked two colors of the same patterned paper and cut it to fit each block.  I then decoupaged it onto the wood using mod podge.

Then using my Silhouette machine, I cut the letters out of white vinyl.
Here are the finished blocks in my dining room.
I love how they came out.  I can't wait to hear what you think.

Tomorrow I am going to be over at Before Meets After  participating in the Twelve Crafty Days of Christmas.  Make sure you stop by there to see what else I have been up to.
Crafty Christmas

Then tomorrow night, in lieu of my Fall into Fall party, it is time for the Blogger Block Party.  The theme for my leg of the party tomorrow night is banisters.  Can't wait to show you my banister all decked out.  I really can't wait to see what inspiring posts you all have ready.






Whew...it's gonna be a fun week!  Hope to see you at all of the parties.

The winners of the Shabby Apple and ElemenOPillow giveaway will be announced tomorrow.

-Judy

29 comments:

Gina said...

These turned out great! I love the subtle pattern to the papers you chose & they look so nice on your sideboard.

Debbiedoos said...

Awesome COPY cat Judy! Yours turned out adorable. Nice thing is you created something to use year after year for the Holiday. Thanks for joining in. Have fun!

Sonny G said...

Very Pretty~! you did a great copy.

I agree with Deb, They can be used every year,

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOCKS!!! THEY ARE SUPER PRETTY!!! GREAT JOB!!That can also be a great gift idea.....

Maria Elena said...

Judy, they look beautiful! What a great copycat!

laxsupermom said...

Your blocks are perfect! Love the papers you used! Thanks for sharing.

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Great job! They look great!

Anonymous said...

Great job!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass

Kathy said...

Judy, this is a great project. I think it looks wonderful on your side board.

Dawn said...

Lovely, and better yet HD did all the cutting. They look great on the buffet, very cheery!!!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Judy, what a great copy! They look awesome with your decor!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You nailed it, Judy! Great copycat! I love how they turned out and the size is perfect to use on your buffet or a mantel.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Judy! This is so cute!! What a great copy cat.
Hugs,
Sherry

Susan Anderson said...

I believe your BELIEVE is one of the cutest I've seen!

=)

Honey at 2805 said...

Very nice, Judy! It is adorable and look beautiful!

At The Picket Fence said...

I do "BELIEVE" I like yours even better than the original Judy! :-) Those look so fun and festive and just perfect on your sideboard. Great job!
Vanessa

Erika said...

I like how you used different colors and not just the one base color as the store.

Erika
It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! Oh, you're just the smartest one! I love what you've done. Your version is so much better - love your mirror and the little Santie!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Swackaroo said...

Hi, I saw the catalog and I couldn't find the dimentions of your blocks. I'm new to this, could you please post. THANK You!!!!

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness! I LOVE these, they are fabulous! I like yours better than the original. Great copycat! So excited to be partying with you this week!

Heather

Calypso In The Country said...

That is an amazing copy cat! I love how they turned out!
-Shelley

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing copycat! I love this idea! You made it look so easy too! I love the paper you used too!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

These are great-- better than the original! :)

Savannah Granny said...

A more perfect copy cat I have never seen. Knowing Grandin Road, I just know you did it for way less. I like the varying colors in your much better. Kudos, girl. Blessings, Ginger

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Judy,

WOW! Your blocks are fantastic!!!
Such a great copycat.

Dee

Unknown said...

This turned out so cute! They look great!

bj said...

AWESOME...they are adorable and I am gonna do the same. I just need to know the size of the blocks.
Thanks for showing us these awesome blocks.
xo bj

chinamomxtwo said...

I would love to know the measurements of the blocks - I went to the co website and they must be all sold out......this is just so damn cute! Must do! Thanks in advance

Jennifer @ Bleu Pom said...

I absolutely loves this. I too would like the measurements. These are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...