Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pottery Barn Teen Inspired Style Tile Board

As you know, I recently updated my daughter's bedroom, at her request. 

Her new tween look is really coming together.  For a while now, she has wanted a memo board like the style tile boards Pottery Barn Teen sells.  

Images
I love them, however, they sell them at a very steep price (prices range from $179-$349...YIKES).


 I knew I could do something similar for so much less.

I started by purchasing four cork boards from Walmart.  They were $5 each and were 14"x14".  I then purchased two sets of frames, 28" long each,  on clearance from Michaels for $10 each.  I couldn't find white, so I painted the frames with the trim paint I used in her room.
I went to JoAnn's and picked out this fabric.   In total I spent just under $5 for all of the fabric.
Using duct tape I wrapped each of the cork boards in different fabric.

After all four were wrapped, I turned them over.

I then used duct tape to attach them all together.
The frame went together easily with a little wood glue and the L brackets that hold it all together.
It was that simple.
The calendar and memo board used to be on my daughter's wall.  They are vinyl adhesive and stick to anything, including these fabric covered tiles.  
You can see that we have my daughter's Pottery Barn Teen bean bag on the floor in the corner under the memo board.  It's actually a great place to hang out for her.  I think this wall is done now too.
My daughter was thrilled when she got home from school and saw what I had made for her.

Here's the cost breakdown:
4 corkboards at $5 each - $20
Fabric - $5
Frame - $20
Total cost - $45

The whole project took me under an hour. 
 It would have taken even less time if I didn't have to paint the frame.  

I can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy

30 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

WOW, your daughters room is awesome Judy! I love the peace comforter too. Your project turned out great! Love the fabric and all the fun colors.

A Few Pennies said...

I know your daughter loves her room! Absolutely lovely (I mean "cool") and that peace sign quilt is awesome. Beautiful space!

Dawn said...

Judy,
I like yours better than PB. Simply darling and such a special room.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I LOVE IT Judy!!

Sonny G said...

Your daughter is no doubt over the moon with her new room. Its just so dang pretty and bright. Those are definately " SMILE" colors.. You did a great job~!

Kim said...

Great job on the tile board. I just saw a how to that is similar on the Elmer Glue site. I am inspired, I have the frame, the fabric and the place to put one in my room. Thanks for the inspiration. skeems20@gmail.com

Cathy Kennedy said...

Totally cool DIY project! This looks like lots of fun for you and I know your daughter is nuts about it. Great job, Mom!!!

Playing today's Alphabe-Thursday 'D' assignment line up!=D

upholstery hampton NH said...

Nicely done. Very neat! I know she loves her room.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

So clever and it looks amazing. Your daughter's room is just gorgeous and I am sure she is loving every bit of it. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

storybeader said...

that's a great looking room and the tile board came out fantastic! Good 'ol duct tape! I can just imagine, with different fabrics, you could make that board for anyone! {:-Deb

Teresa@SagebrushRidge said...

Both of my girls have been asking for one of these for Christmas. Its been on my DIY list for months. Maybe I will actually get around to it! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm your newest follower. Thanks for following me.

Splendid Little Stars said...

It's FABULOUS! Your daughter's room looks amazing! Your cork board project is awesome!

Next Monday, you should link this post up to my friend's link party. there are people who would love to see this!
Artful Rising

Unknown said...

I love the fabric you chose! What great project!

Unknown said...

Beautiful bedroom, she must love having such a special place to hang out. The tile board is great, I thought yours was actually nicer than the PB one. :)

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

What a fantastic idea. It looks great with the fabric you picked. Now she's never going to want to come out of her room. What a fun space.

Susan Anderson said...

Handy, and it adds some great color, too. Nice work!

=)

My post: Divine Nature

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

Your project is awesome I really love the peace comforter too

anitamombanita said...

Very cute...and how fun to know it is unique for her AND cost a ton less...always a PLUS!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great looking, affordable alternative, Judy! Sometimes they are just so crazy with what they charge. I love the colors going on in here and how you are tying everything together with them.

At The Picket Fence said...

Look out PB!! LOL! That is so fantastic Judy and you continue to amaze me with your creativity!
Vanessa

Stacy CUrran said...

The PB ones are great, but yours is PERFECT at a fraction of the price! GREAT job!!!
Stacy

Kay Ellen said...

Really cute Judy,

My teen daughter saw this too~~and now she wants one:)

Habitat for Humanity in the Inland Empire has a ton of large bulletin boards someone donated..I better hurry up and grab a couple this week...fun idea for a christmas present too.

Thanks for hosting!

Kay Ellen

Kirsten Harr said...

Very cool! I love it!

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

Love it Judy! Especially the duct tape - another use! And I can't believe PB's prices for their boards. Seriously. The whole room is fab! I'd love for you to join Tuesday's Nursery on Dec 6th - it's for all ages of kids decor. Have a great weekend, Nan

PlayfulDecor.blogspot.com

Jennifer @ Bleu Pom said...

What a great idea! Her room looks amazing. Such a great color combination. I would have loved that room as a tween! Heck, I even wouldn't mind it now! ;o)

Found you via link party. Have a Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Wowsa!! Awesome job!! Super thrifty deal!!

Unknown said...

That is an awesome room! Love your memo board knock-off! Turned out great! Thanks for sharing with air your laundry Friday!

Jami

Jenny said...

Judy!

What a fabulous, fabulous DIY project! It doesn't even look super hard.

I am going to attempt to make these for my Grandlittles. I even like the idea of doing the diagonal criss/cross ribbons on one square for little tuck behinds!

This is an absolutely delicious link for the letter D.

And that peace sign bedspread is divine, too!

Thanks for linking up!

A+

Anonymous said...

Judy-

Love the room and your tile board. I am using your tutorial to make one for my daughter. She wants a calendar for one spot (where she would change days and months accordingly, and I had planned to draw the calendar on a piece of dry erase board. BUT, it would be so much easier if I could purchase a vinyl adhesive calendar like the one you used.

Would you mind sharing where you got that?
Many thanks!
Susan Johnstone
Marietta, GA

DIYbyDesign said...

I got the vinyl adhesive calendar from Target.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...