Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

iPad Pillow Tutorial

For Christmas, we bought both of our kids the iPad 2.  It has turned out to be one of the best things we have ever bought them.  They literally use it everyday for so many different things.  My daughter uses hers each and every night often while laying in bed.  She is always trying to find a comfortable way to hold her iPad.  It got me thinking that it would be good if she had a something that she could have on her lap...sort of like a lap desk.  Here's a pillow I made just for her iPad :
Here's how I did it...
I found these mini fabric packages and ribbon at AC Moore.
Using a 12"x16" pillow form I already had, I measured to make an envelope pillow.

I didn't feel like taking out the iron and ironing board, so instead I plugged in my flat iron and ironed out the creases in the fabric.  It's a trick I often use.  It heats up quickly and really works.
I cut the peace sign fabric to 12 1/2" x 16 1/2" (which leaves a 1/4" seam allowance all around).  I laid the cut peace sign fabric over the pillow form.  Then using the iPad as my guide, 
I pinned ribbon to all four corners.
This will be what keeps the iPad in place on the pillow.  Then I sewed the ribbon to the length of the pin, making sure I left enough open space to fit the iPad under once sewed.
Then for added interest, I added a coordinating ribbon that I adhered using fabric glue.  I then cut the edges of the green ribbon on an angle (not shown in this photo).

I then cut two lengths of pink fabric - each 16 1/2" x 9".  Again using my flat iron, 
I ironed a hem on each length and used fabric glue to adhere it. 
I then pinned the fabric, right sides together and sewed around all four sides on my sewing machine.
I then placed my pillow form inside.
I then placed the iPad under each of the four blue ribbon corners.
The only thing left was for my daughter to enjoy her new iPad pillow.
Now I just have to find some fun fabrics to make one for my son too!!

I can't wait to hear what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
-Judy
Pin It

29 comments:

Gina said...

That's genius! What a great idea and it turned out wonderfully.

I also have to say that ironing the fabric with a flat iron is pretty genius too. I never thought of that!

Erin~Just*Grand said...

I love this idea.... I may have to make one soon. Do you think elastic at the corners would work well? I would need to be able to slip the iPad in and out often... Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! My husband is thinking about buying an iPad and this would be great to make if he did. I love the fabric choice too!

Debbiedoos said...

You think of the most clever things Judy!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

love it! I am hoping I get an I-pad for mother's day. Can't really decide thought if I want an i-phone more or not. This is a great idea and it looks much more comfortable

GiGi said...

WOW! This is fantastic! I don't have an I-Pad, but I do have a Kindle Fire and my hands get sore too. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Judy said...

Just a comment about how times have changed so much so quickly. We have 2 married children ages 29 and 30. When they were young we used to give them hardbound copies of the Classics, their favorite music of the day and word games. They adored Scrabble and Boggle. Today, one is a corporate attorney, the other has earned her Master's in Art and Interior Design and is a successful business owner.
Parents, if you can afford to give your children iPads for Christmas or birthday, please do so, my young grandsons have them. But, if you choose not to or can't afford to, your children will be just as intelligent, just as high achieving and very successful. Love them and share with them what you love.

Judy said...

BTW, darling idea for the lap desks.
Very creative!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I just got my IPad 2 and I love it! It's a refurbished one from the Apple store so we saved a little $$ that way. I use it all the time ! Love your idea! I'm thinking about using a sturdier trim than ribbon but not sure yet. I saw where one lady was considering elastic and I understand what she means. Again, great idea!

Stephanie said...

Seriously Judy that cracked me up about the flat iron, so genius but a hoot too. Gonna remember that tip! I love, love the iPad pillow, you are so stinkin smart! Going to pin it for sure.

Susan Anderson said...

I think you need to patent this one!

=)

laxsupermom said...

Love the Chi trick! Pure genius! The pillow looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is such a great project! We could so use one of these in our house! Would you consider linking it up to my Pinworthy Projects Party? I'd love to have you join the party.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Well yeah, I want one too! :D Thanks for sharing your superb idea on BeColorful this week.
pam

Denise said...

It's an iPillow!

Unknown said...

THat is BRILLIANT!! I am going to make one for me!! Great idea!!

Andrea said...

That is brilliant! My daughter would love one of these (well I she would also love an Ipad) If she ever gets one, I will certainly make her one of these pillows. Great idea!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Unreal, what a fantastic idea. I am sure she loves it and it is so cute too. Very clever. Thanks tons for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Brilliant! I use a pillow too and would love one of these! Clever idea with the flat iron too ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I can't wait to make one for my iPad

Passing through said...

I just found this tutorial when doing a Google search for a DIY iPad lap pillow. I like it! It spurs an idea. Thanks for sharing!

Silkartist said...

A great DIY iPad pillow! My hubby paid $39.85 for 2 Gogo pillows (one for me & his son) and our iPads with its leather protective cover will NOT fit the corner slots to the iPad! I just contacted them to ask for return instructions...they may not want to take them back. I do love your design & may make one for myself, if it turns out as great as yours, I'll make one for my stepson too. Thanks so much.

Savannah Attic said...

i Love this Idea !! I will Have to adjust to what fits for my Grandson's Samsung Galaxy 4 Loves this When he comes here he is laying on his bed trying to get comfy with it. Great Idea I'm going to try it!! Thank You Lisa

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea. I have a stash of extra fat quarters and this idea looks like an obvious winner! Thanks for sharing your "how to create an IPAD2 Pillow" holder.

lu rogeria maravilhas do trico said...

Amei muito obrigada pelo pap!!!

Aikku said...

Perfect idea. Thank you for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm making my second cover and appreciate these clear instructions. Thank you! I have used a colored elastic (orange) for the corners for my Step Father and he loves it. : )

gbappsdownload said...


backyard revolution solar review
15 minute manifestation
gbappsdownload

Lebron John said...


The way to obtain NBA 2K22 MT in NBA 2K22 is very limited and requires a lot of time and effort. It is almost impossible for novice players to obtain a large number of NBA 2K22 MT in a short time. But don't worry, GameMS can help you solve it easily. This is also my favorite way.

Attached link: https://www.gamems.com/nba-2k22-mt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...