Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Decorating a Mantle for Christmas

As a tradition, the day after Thanksgiving we decorate for Christmas.  I love everything about Christmas and to get into the spirit of the season, I enjoy decorating the day after Thanksgiving.  My mantle in my great room is one of my favorite places to decorate.


I start with green garland which I wrapped with white lights.  Next I draped the garland from one end of the mantle to the other.   The garland I chose is artificial, however, it is as real a fake as I have ever seen.  With our cat,  real pines isn't a good option.  We have our boy and girl snowman standing guard on either side of the fireplace, waiting for Santa to arrive.
I decorate using gold, cranberry and green.  I like to have my Christmas decorations coordinate with the colors of my great room.  I have sugared pears, apples and other fruit (also artificial) tucked into the garland.  The word PEACE holds each of our stockings (one for myself, my husband, our two kids and Sara, our cat).  A ball of sugar plums hangs on the "A" in the center of the mantle.

Close up of sugar plums


Two sugared topiaries stand at either end of the mantle.  Using wired gold ribbon, I made several bows and mixed them throughout the garland.  The stockings and the PEACE holders are from Pottery Barn and were purchased several years ago.  I love it at night all lit up.

A close up view of the topiary and the bows.
This bow is very easy to make.  All it takes is wired ribbon and some floral wire.

Close up of topiary


Close up of sugared fruit

There are also flowers mixed throughout the garland

Let me know what you think.  I look forward to your comments.

-Judy
The Lettered Cottage

21 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

So PRETTY...love all your stockings!

Blessings,
Linda

Modern Country Lady said...

Very cosy!! Love it !

Modern Country Lady said...

Forgot to say : Happy first Advent!!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Looks ready for celebrating to begin. We put up our tree on Friday but for some reason I only came across one stocking in the boxes. Oops, that is NOT going to work! Janell

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your mantle is just beautiful Judy~ I love the red topiaries on the ends! :)

Vanessa said...

It looks gorgeous Judy! I never noticed the details on your mantel before which make it beautiful year round but especially this time of year. I especially love the topiaries as I am a topiary kind of gal! :-)
Vanessa

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Love the rich colors of your stockings. Your Christmas mantle is beautiful. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back.
Have a great week!
www.beatricebanks.blogpsot.com

Heather said...

Very pretty! Love your colors!

Restoration House said...

Looks so festive! Love all the colour!
Kim :)

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Beautiful mantle! I like the velvet stocking too!

Katherine

Melissa Miller said...

Wow! How gorgeous this looks Judy. You have inspired me tonight. I adore your stunning home.

Blessings to you and yours.
Warmly, Melissa :)

PS Come say Hi!

Olive said...

I especaially like your topiaries. Decorating mantles is such fun. ♥O

Chandy said...

Oh my everyone is so done with their mantle, I haven't even started! That's beautiful!

Debbiedoos said...

I am like you Judy, I try to keep the color flow even at Christmas time. Love your mantel, I am getting so many inspiring ideas from you gals.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Very pretty Judy...I think I'll steal this look ha ha!! Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

I just found you through the Boardwalk! Your blog is lovely and the garland looks so amazing. I adore your topiaries!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mantel Judy!

we three dogs and me said...

very pretty. You are lucky to have a mantle to decorate. Some day I will get a fake one.lol Ilove the velvet stockings.

Unknown said...

Judy, you have created a lovely mantle setting ... & your topiaries are fab! I'll have mine up soon to view.

Have a beautiful eve ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It looks gorgeous - and reminds me that I need bow tying lessons!

Kristen said...

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time getting past your gorgeous kitchen to even look at your mantle! Just call me green with envy here. (Your mantle looks simply beautiful!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...