Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Master Bedroom

I thought you might like to see my master bedroom.  The room in person is beautiful.  To get a decent photograph of the room has presented quite a challenge.  It seems that no matter what I do with the camera, the color on the walls is not really represented completely accurately.   But here we go.


The room was redecorated about a year ago.  My journey to redecorate this room began with some fabrics I saw in Calico Corners. 

Images from Calico Corners

It's appropriate that the fabric collection is called "Love Affair" since I completely fell head over heals in love with the Robin's Egg Blue embroidered silk fabric...especially in combination with the bronze and ivory fabrics.  I knew I wanted this look for my room.  Most of the time I am inspired by a fabric which sets the direction I take a room in.  I loved the living room picture from Calico Corners.  I loved everything about that picture.   I went so far as to call up Calico Corners headquarters to find out where I could get the same area rug.  I did get in touch with the company only to find out the rug was over $7,000...way out of my budget.  But I would find something close...I was now on a mission.  We had hard wood floors beneath wall to wall carpet we had installed when we moved in.  We removed the carpet to reveal floors in perfect condition.  I had crown moulding installed in the room and then had the room painted a mocha color, a lighter color on the tray and a robin's egg blue on the ceiling (see photos below).  I was able to find a very similar rug in Einstein Moomjy.  I had looked at every rug store in a 50 mile radius.  I was exhausted from flipping rugs.  I had looked in the Einstein Moomjy near my home several times.  I decided one Sunday morning to try the Einstein Moomjy about an hour away.  Well it was worth the trip.  It is a 10 x 14 Nourison rug in the perfect colors of ivory, bronze and a touch of robin's egg blue.


My dilemma became how to bring in those fabrics from Calico Corners, without spending a fortune.  My favorite fabric of the collection is the embroidered silk fabric.  As it turns out,  I must have good taste,  as it costs a whopping $90/yard.  Even with the occasional 15% off sale...that's still alot of money.  But I also know you can get alot of bang for your buck if you use an exquisite fabric like this in small doses.  So I bought one yard, at 15% off, and made the two pillows on the bed myself as well as the pillow on one of the chairs and covered the tissue box. 

Covered tissue box with leftover fabric and trim


Compare the pillow on the bed that I made:

With the pillows from the Calico Corners photo:

Images from Calico Corners
Same size, same trim.  Trust me, I've never been so careful cutting out fabric before.

So, now I had my two pillows...but how about the bedding.  I searched everywhere.  I really mean everywhere.  I bought and returned so many different bedding sets.  Then one day I was walking through Target and saw the perfect duvet on clearance.


You can see the duvet in this picture.  It is a textured waffle pattern.  I then found the bed skirt (which looks and feels like silk), scroll shams, matching duvet, two smaller bronze pillows and bronze neck roll - all at Target and all on clearance! They are all from the Fieldcrest Luxury collection.   Now I was really getting somewhere.  But how could I achieve an embroidered silk drape without breaking the bank.  I have four windows in my bedroom so that's a lot of panels.  Of course, one of my favorite stores came through for me....Fortunoff.  I found these silk, lined and interlined panels on clearance.  You should know none of these items were found on a first try.  I had been to Fortunoff many times and probably didn't consider these drapes when they were full price.  I ultimately found them in another Fortunoff...one that was further away that I rarely went to.

My silk embroidered drapes
Calico Corner's silk embroidered drapes
I also loved the dragonfly damask fabric in the Calico Corners photo.  I had a waterfall bench that had been relegated to the basement.  It used to be in our living room when we lived in a Townhouse.  I decided I would recover it in this fabric and put it at the foot of our bed.  This is the result:


I cut a panel for the top and a panel for the bottom.  I used fabric glue when I connected to top and bottom pieces, just in case I ever wanted to remove the fabric, I didn't damage the fabric underneath.



Here are more views of the room.

You can see a chandelier peeking out in this picture.  I really wanted a chandelier in my bedroom, but we really needed to keep a ceiling fan.  We had a white casablanca fan prior to this that we had brought from our Townhouse.  I knew that needed to go, but how could I get a chandelier without giving up a ceiling fan.  I searched the internet and look at what I found at lamps plus:


It's a ceiling fan with a chandelier light attachment.  What a perfect fit.  By the way, I'm very into painting ceilings right now.  The tray is painted a lighter mocha than the walls and the ceiling is painted a robin's egg blue to match the fabric.

Another view of the room

After I finished the room, I was still on the hunt for a chair.  I wanted it to be comfortable...not just for show.  One day, about six months after the room was done, I was in Calico Corners and they were selling the floor model of this chair.  Right behind the chair they had the fabric that this chair is upholstered with on the same wall with all of the fabrics in my room.  I talked them down another couple hundred dollars below what they were asking, and put this beauty into the back of my car. 

I do love my bedroom.  I still feel like there is something missing behind the bed.  That is why I am still considering wallpapering that wall with the paper in this picture.
Image from Ethan Allen
It is the perfect colors.  The real issue - it's $85/single roll.  As you know wallpaper is priced by the single roll but sold by the double roll.  I need four double rolls for that wall.  Since it is so expensive, I wouldn't dare take a chance on us hanging it, so it would end up being an $800 wall in total between the paper and the installation.  Not sure it's worth it.  I will come up with a solution and let you know when I do.  

Let me know what you think of the room.  I love getting comments.  Thanks.

-Judy
Come join me at the following link parties:





BCD 125

11 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

You have done an amazing job getting the look you are after by using just a little of your favorite fabrics, etc...the two shots of the pillows really shows this! I think your idea to add interest to the wall behind the bed will bring that final extra something you are looking for. Have you ever thought about stenciling? What comes to mind is a wall Kristin did in her entry...look at her post:

http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.blogspot.com/2010/10/stencil-tutorial-and-link-party.html

Great, huh? Would be a fraction of the cost...just an idea! Janell

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your room is stunning and I love your fabrics. Beautiful color combinations. Hugs, Marty

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

WOW, this is incredible! So beautiful! I'm absolutely inspired right now. I always see such beautiful fabric that's so out of my budget. I had no idea that you could do so much with one yard! You were just as resourceful in the rest of your room. I would have never guessed you found the rest of the bedding at target! And the ceiling is amazing too...I bet it's so lovely gazing up at it!

Anonymous said...

Your sidebar looks like Calico Corners too.

Isn't it amazing when you buy stuff on clearance..it is such a good feeling walking out of the store.

Great job of pulling things together to achieve the look you wanted....Kinda like a Nate Berkus show here LOL.

Erin said...

Your room is gorgeous and those pillows are perfect!

Vanessa said...

GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! Judy I thought you were showing a pic from a magazine at first. Seriously, I am not just saying that to be nice! :-) It is a stunning room and don't even get me started about how much I love Calico Corners. It makes my heart beat faster just walking in there! I don't really think you need anything on the wall behind your bed. Unless you just fell in love with something that was absolutely perfect or did wallpaper like you mentioned. I think it looks fab just the way it is!
Vanessa

Modern Country Lady said...

Judy,I am BLOWN away , goodness how gorgeous. You have such an eye for colours.What beautiful fabric, what lovely colour combinations- love the pillow you did.

Erica @ Decorica said...

Gorgeous fabrics. You're right, just using a little bit of what you love will do the trick.

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Your bedroom is so beautiful! I love the mocha colors paired with the robin's egg blue. That fan/chandelier combo is great and I love the light blue ceiling. You also did an amazing job on the pillows!

Karen said...

Have you considered just a panel of the wallpaper behind the bed instead of the whole wall, trimmed with molding of course.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I love it! The room is gorgeous. I especially like the color pallet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...